Legal and Ethical Considerations of Online Therapy
Kate Anthony & DeeAnna Merz Nagel
6 clock hours of instruction
Online and self-paced
During this introductory course, you will learn about the Ethical Framework for the use of Technology in Mental Health, based on what we define as the “big five”- American (EthicsCode, NBCC, ACA) United Kingdom (BACP) and Cyberspace (ISMHO). These five publications comprise guidelines, suggested principles and recommendations for online practice. You will be learning about the ethical implications when considering Intake Forms and assessment, informed consent, privacy policies and dual relationships in light of having an online presence, and legal issues pertaining to the delivery of online counseling. This course includes 4 hours of study regarding ethical considerations and 2 hours of study regarding legal considerations
- Introduction to Ethical Issues and the Online Therapy Institute’s Ethical Framework
- Preparing an Intake Form for Assessment
- Informed Consent and Privacy Policiess
- Maintaining a Responsible Online Presence
- Best Practices concerning Legal and Ethical Issues
Participants will understand the basic concepts of ethical practice when conducting therapy online.
Participants will be able to create an Intake Form suitable to their practice.
Participants will understand typical inclusions of informed consent.
Participants will be able to identify potential dual relationship hazards online.
Participants will be able to seek out legal information regarding practice of online therapy.
How do I register for a course?
- Our courses are taught in a self-paced style utilizing a dynamic e-learning platform. Learning will take place via pdf documents and internet links, videos, power point and audio presentations.
- To find out more about the minimum browser and software requirements necessary click here.
- Once you have paid for your course we will register you and send your login information to you. This can take up to 2 business days following your purchase.
Continuing Education/Continuing Professional Development Click here for details.
If you are interested in a group training rate please email firstname.lastname@example.org.